Welcome to Instrumential Music
Greetings and Welcome!
As I begin my tenth year as the instrumental music director at Cubberley, I continue to be very excited about our wonderful program! Last year was very successful! 15% of our Cubberley middle school advanced musicians participated in the Long Beach Unified School District Middle School Honor Band/Orchestra. Our musicians made up 10% of the total honor band and 40% of the principal chair positions! We also had 25% of our musicians participate in Southern California Solo and Ensemble festival and several students even continued on to the SCSBOA regional festival. Lastly, one very talented student auditioned and made it into in the very prestigious All Southern California Honor group.
This year we have the largest number of students involved to date! I look forward to what this year will hold. Let me welcome all new and returning students to the Cubberley music family and congratulate you on being a member of a fine instrumental program. It is a decision that you will find very rewarding! I look forward to sharing my passion for music making with all students.
Instrumental music courses offered at Cubberley:
1. Elementary Orchestra: (Grades 3-5). Lessons are 30 minutes once a week.
2. Elementary Band: (Grades 4-5). Lessons are 30 minutes once a week.
3. Band Advanced (Zero period band):Open to 7th and 8th grade students with a year or more of experience. Students in 6th grade will be admitted by audition/permission from Mrs. Saum and must be enrolled in the 2nd period 6th grade band class. This class is on the circle schedule and meets every other day from 7:50-8:30 a.m.
4. Band Beginning (6th grade band, 2nd period):Open to all 6th grade students, no experience required. This class meets on alternating days following the circle schedule.
5. Beginning Orchestra (6th grade strings, 2nd period):Open to all 6th grade students, no experience required. This class meets alternating days following the triangle schedule.
6. Intermediate Orchestra (Zero period orchestra):Open to 7th and 8th grade students with a year or more of experience. Students in 6th grade will be admitted by audition/permission from Mrs. Saum and must be enrolled in the 2nd period 6th grade string class. This class is on the triangle schedule and meets every other day from 7:50-8:30 a.m.
7. Jazz Band:Open to all eligible students who are enrolled in Zero or 2nd period band or orchestra. This class meets after school on Mondays from 3:30 -4:30 p.m.
Our elementary and middle school students perform in both winter and spring concerts. Our Middle school spring concert last year was especially exciting as we collaborated with Creative Writing for a wonderful “Arts in the Air” evening. I am confident that you will find your experience in band/orchestra rewarding if you are active and take the time to practice. I look forward to a musically challenging and rewarding year as our participation in rehearsals and concerts, with a mindset of diligence and commitment, brings us to our ultimate goal of instrumental excellence at Cubberley!
I hope that you will enjoy your experience in instrumental music!
Mrs. Julie Saum
Instrumental Music Director